It is my birthday tomorrow and, as I will be a year older, I thought that I would write a little post about all of the things that I have learned in my first 25 years on earth. Yes, I have been on this earth for over 25 years… what?!
1. Not everyone has the same priorities as me. If I care about someone I will make them a priority. Everyone is different and I need to accept that sometimes they care but they don’t show it as much as I do.
2. Travel is your friend. It will teach you so much about yourself and help you to explore so many different things. It is a life changer that will will never leave you feeling like you did before.
3. Save, save, save. Things are expensive and it is always good to have some money saved up for emergencies or just to treat yourself. It might be fun to spend but when you’re a real adult you need to worry about things like saving money.
4. You need to know how to cook. You cannot live on takeaways. They are expensive and not good to have every day, so buy a recipe book and just keep cooking. Also, bake. Bake a lot.
5. Some people are not forever friends. I have lost so many people that I thought were always going to be there. Sometimes people come into your life for a reason and then leave. I’m not saying that it makes sense, but it’s probably for the best.
6. Reading is important. It teaches you about so much and, it’s fun. Reading transports you to so many different worlds in the comfort of your own home. If you know which books to look for, reading can even change your life.
7. Lip gloss and the wind are not your friend. You know when you go outside and you’re looking so good and the next thing you know your hair is sticking to your lips? Yeah…not a good look.
8. It’s okay not to be okay. Don’t let anyone tell you that you have to be happy all of the time. Sometimes things happen, and they hurt, and you need some time to get over them. Stop caring about what other people think and make the decision that is right for you.
9. Someone always cares. Even when you feel like you have no one. Someone will always be there to help you and guide you. You might not know who that person is yet but I promise you they’re there.
10. Pray. Prayer helps so much and makes you feel a lot better about your situation; it does for me anyway. Praying is like having a friend who just sits and listens without always butting in to give advice, and sometimes we need it more than we know.
11. If you don’t know what to wear, then wear black. I promise you, this is one of those life hacks that you really can’t do without. Black, on black, on black.
12. Don’t compare yourself to other people. I do this ALL the time! People my age are married with children and I am a single pringle. I think of this all the time and it’s not healthy. I also do not know what their lives are like beyond social media so perhaps I shouldn’t be so envious.
13. You have to trust God’s timing. I know that when the time is right I will meet the right person and it will be my time to start a family. I can’t try and rush things; that’s just not quite how it works.
14. Sometimes you have to say no. I don’t like saying no to people because I don’t like disappointing people and I am also not a huge fan of conflict. However, sometimes I end up saying yes to things that aren’t necessarily the best thing for me and that’s something that I need to work on.
15. Write things down. Do NOT try and fool yourself into believing that you will remember in the morning, or later on. You probably won’t. Carrying a notebook around with you at all times is pretty essential!
16. Document your life. Take photos. In a few years time you’ll be able to look back on the photos and remember how you felt in that exact moment and all of the memories will come flooding back with just one glance at a photo.
17. Drink water; lots of it. I know that it doesn’t taste like much and other drinks might taste better but water is important. Try and drink as much as you can. It helps; I promise.
18. It’s okay if your plans change. I always dreamed of being a sports photo journalist and now I am a teacher. Nothing in my life has gone according to my plan and that’s probably because I wasn’t following God’s plan for me anyway. But if your plans change remember that there’s probably a reason for it.
19. Everything happens for a reason. You might not know why at the time, in fact, you probably won’t. But trust me, that no matter what happens, the reason will become clear and you will know exactly why things didn’t continue as you had planned.
20. Emotions can be scary. Feeling things for people is scary because you know that you are giving someone the power to hurt you. But that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t do it. Something wonderful could be out there waiting for you.
21. Procrastination is not your friend. It might be fun in the moment but when you’re approaching a deadline and you suddenly realise how much you need to do; it becomes a whole lot less fun and a whole lot more stressful.
22. Being kind is important. Even if people are not kind to you, be a kind person to others. Don’t treat others how they treat you but rather treat them how you would like to be treated.
23. You shouldn’t worry about what other people think. I still struggle with this because I never want to look silly in front of other people. But I am working on it. I get the concept, it’s just putting it into action that is hard.
24. Your health is important. I have spent the past 25 years being a bit unhealthy but I have now started exercising, eating better and drinking crazy amounts of water. It’s necessary!
25. Lastly I have learned that the most important thing is to just be myself. If people like me then wonderful but if they don’t then that’s more their problem than mine. I am still working on this one too 😉
What things have you learned in life so far? Have you made a similar post? Let me know in the comments below!