My sister recently turned Vegan and most of our Christmas puddings and desserts have some kind of dairy product in them. I asked her if she wanted me to make something for her for Christmas dinner and she had a look to find something that she would like. The recipe for this vegan apple crumble was inspired by Deliciously Ella’s Winter-Spiced Pear and Apple Crumble but it has been changed to suit what we had in the cupboard 😉
For the fruit layer:
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
For the crumble:
4 tbsp coconut oil
4 tbsp molasses
1 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
- For the fruit layer, peel the apples and cut them into chunks. I made mine medium sized but it all depends on how big you want them to be.
- Put the apples into a pot with the cinnamon and ginger. Place water into the pot and cook over a low heat until the pieces are soft. I used about 400ml of water but it depends on how big your pot is.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. If your oven heats up really quickly then you can pretty much switch it on whenever you are ready.
- For the crumble layer throw the almonds and cashews into a food processor and blend. Blend until it as smooth as you want it to be. I blended mine until most of it was as fine as flour and there were just some bigger bits left.
- Add the nuts into a bowl with the oats and stir. I just like to make sure that they are mixed together before I move on.
- Put the coconut oil, molasses, cinnamon and ginger into a pot and heat on low until the coconut oil melts. Pour the mixture into the oats mixture. This will be your crumble for later.
- Drain the apples so that they are not too watery. I left some water in the mixture so that it wasn’t too dry but you can decide how much liquid you want to leave.
- Put the apples into a baking tray. Use your discretion as to how big you want your tray to be. Spread the crumble over the top. I had a lot of crumble left over so I added some more molasses and made little oat bites.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes. I would suggest you keep checking so that it does not burn.
- Once the top is a nice golden brown colour and you are happy with it then you can take it out of the oven. And that’s it!
Obviously you can add something to this like vegan ice cream or something similar. But for now I am leaving mine plain.
So there is a very quick and easy vegan apple crumble. Do you think that this is something you might make? Have you made something like this before? Let me know in the comments below!