If you come from a big family where you buy gifts for everyone, or if you buy for a lot of friends, Christmas can get pretty pricey. There are, however, some ways that you can budget for all of your gifts and also get the most for your money.
- Make a list of everyone you need to buy a present for.
- Decide how much money you actually have to spend on presents.
- Think about how much you are prepared to spend on each person. It doesn’t mean that you HAVE to spend that amount but it will give you a budget to work with while you are shopping.
- Lastly, pay in cash. I know that it might seem like a mission and that paying with a card is way easier. However, if you draw the money that you need you will know that you cannot spend any more than that. You can also physically see how much you are spending which helps as well!
- Another option is for everyone in your circle to buy presents for just one person instead of everyone. So you draw names out of a hat and everyone gets a person to buy for.
- Find specials – around Christmas time there are always loads of specials to be had. There are some shops that sell a 3 for 2 specials on good quality products. It can be a HUGE saving.
- Try and do some shopping through the year. If you see something during the year that is a really good price, then why not pick one up? Obviously it’s a bit late for this one now but you can try it next year 😉
- DIY gifts. There are so many cute ideas you can find on Pinterest that you can make yourself. Not only will some of these work out way cheaper but they are also a lot more personal.
- Shop at Christmas markets. You can pick up more original gifts and you can also pick up some great bargains. By buying at Christmas markets you are also helping other people buy things for their own families.
- Shop around. Don’t go into the first shop that you find and buy everything. Look around at a few different shops and find the one that has the best price, within reason, (obviously this does not mean you need to compromise on quality).
Christmas is an exciting time and I personally love buying presents for people. But don’t spend so much on other people that you don’t even have time to enjoy yourself and have some much needed relaxation. Hopefully these tips will help you out a little bit!
What are your tips for staying on budget over the festive season? Do you struggle to rein in the spending for others? Let me know in the comments below!